Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Weight Obsession

Why are we so obsessed with our weight? When I say we, I mostly mean me but I am not alone. I have noticed that women and even men are constantly focused on what they should weigh. When in a group of women, I find that our conversations inevitably turn into a discussion about what we weighed at our thinest or even our heaviest. I am not saying that I have never thrown this particular topic into the mix, but I am not the only one. I am ashamed to say that I remember exactly how much I weighed at my thinest and when. I was 25, weighed 124 and wore a size 4. See! I just did it again. I throw these numbers around like a man and his high school football stats. It's ridiculous.

Why do we feel compelled to share this information with others? Is it because I want others to know that I have not always been this heavy or that I have had control of my weight at some point in my life or could it be that I want someone to know that I am capable of restraint? The truth is that I was only this thin because I had broken up with my boyfriend of many years and was so upset that I couldn't eat. Believe me, this is the only time in my life that I have rejected food like that. I am not saying that I am exactly overweight right now. I am not where I want to be, but that always seems to be the case.

Maybe we can start a new trend and not discuss our weight at all. Maybe we can just happy with what we currently weigh. If we are overweight, than we can work on it in a nice easy slow fashion and not obsess over how big our butts have gotten lately (I suffer from the J.Lo syndrome). Maybe we could discuss how beautiful we are and how great we look
now. Heck, maybe we leave weight out of the discussion altogether. I would always be happy to share the stupid things that my husband has recently done as a replacement. Who is with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment