Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Frugal Weight Loss Tips

Why do so many of us think that weight loss has to be expensive? We don't have to pay for a fancy gym membership or eat super expensive health foods.

There is not a complicated method to losing weight. There are some very simple tips to losing weight. Here are my favorite.

1. Eat breakfast - the experts are not kidding when they say it's the most important meal of the day.

2. Quit rushing the process! This is very important. Quit trying to lose 10 pounds this month. It's not healthy and you will just be discouraged. Take your time. It will come off slow, but it will stay off.

3. Journal - write down what you are eating and how you feel about it everyday. I learned this years ago in college and it was the best tip EVER!

4. Eat slower - I went to Italy 2 years ago and was amazed by the way they savor their food and there were no fat Italians!

5. Eat smaller portions of the foods you love.

6. Go for a walk every day - this does not take fancy equipment or gear. Just get out and walk.

7. EAT MORE FIBER!! Increase your fiber to the recommended amount. The USDA recommends getting 14 grams of fiber per every 1,000 calories consumed. This would be approximately 25 grams for a woman and 38 for a man. Add fruit, beans and whole grains to your diet. They are not expensive!

8. Stop drinking sugary soda and other drinks. They cost more and add way too many calories.

9. Do not use diet pills. If you eat enough fiber, you won't be hungry. Plus, those suckers are expensive and often dangerous!

Please take care of your health and see your physician before making any changes. Good luck!

Note about me****My master's will be in Public Health Promotion and Education not Nutrition. I am not a diet expert and I am not telling you what to eat. I am simply sharing the tips that have worked for me over the years. I am not super thin and probably never will be. I am at a healthy weight. I do fluctuate about 10 pounds here and there. I have been heavier over the years. I gained 50 pounds when I was pregnant at 29. I took that weight off slowly over the next three years. I lost around 10-15 pounds each year after that. I have stayed at this weight since then plus or minus a few pounds here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment