Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What I have learned from my friends

I am blessed with a lot of great friends. Each one brings something completely different to our relationship. Through my mid-twenties, I was only friends with people my own age and that had my interests. They generally looked pretty similar and liked a lot of the same things. Although, each one of them were special in their own way. Now that I am in my mid-thirties, I find my friends to be of all ages and interests. I call many of the college kids my good friends and I have friends who are twice my age and all ages in between. It's wonderful.


Each one of the people that bless my life now bring something different to our relationship and each has taught me a little bit about myself. I sat down the other day and really began thinking about how some of these people have taught me something different. I can't list all of them or all of the wonderful things my friends have taught me. I want to give you just a sample of things I have learned from my friends that are a little older than me. I hope this will help you appreciate the people in your life more fully.

Some of my older friends have taught me to value my marriage and family more. I have learned to appreciate how precious my time is. I don't have much time with my little one and it certainly doesn't need to be spent on the phone or in front of a televsion set. I am learning to spend my free time in ways that are more productive or more enjoyable. I try to find ways to always incorporate my little one so I don't miss valuable time with her.

I have learned from one friend to look for joy in everything. It might not always work, but the quest makes things easier.

I have learned not to take myself so seriously. I never have outwardly. I have always been one to laugh out loud every chance that I get, but I still worried about what other's thought. Not anymore. When I was younger, I was always concerned about what I wore, what I drove, what purse I carried, how my hair was done because my friends were concerned about this. I have learned to be who I am and be true to myself.

I have learned that it is NEVER too late to change your health. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. I worried that I was destined to be carry around an extra 10-20 pounds for the rest of my life. Some of my friends that are over 50 started exercising hardcore their late 40's or early 50's. A couple of them completely changed their health for the better and have lost weight and kept it off. One has even lost around 90 pounds and has turned into a completely new man. It is not too late for me to have complete control over this extra weight.

I have learned that is really okay to find new hobbies and to be creative and artistic when you are a mother. It is so easy to think you cannot spend free time doing anything but mommy duties. It's not true and you can be a better parent by being true to your creative side. Find ways to include your child/ren in your hobbies. I like to paint with acrylics. My child now has her own paint sets and plenty of things to paint on. She even has her own table and art equipment. We have a great time in our art room together.


I have learned much more than this from these friends. The purpose of this blog is for you to look around at the people you are spending your time with. What are you learning from them? Are you finding yourself surrounded by people who don't bring anything new to your life? Try broadening your circle of friends. Are you enjoying the time spent with these people? Your time in too valuable and precious to waste. Give it some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment