Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2009

Skip the Diets This Holiday Season!

I recently wrote an article for a new magazine called Salt. It was titled Preventing Holiday Gains. The article can be found here: http://www.thesaltmagazine.com/2009/11/preventing-holiday-gains.html#more


I am thrilled to say that I finally took my own advice over Thanksgiving weekend!!!

I ate what I wanted in moderation, didn't start a diet, ate only the foods that I really love, ate regular meals and snacks and focused more on my family and friends. I didn't get to exercise like I had hoped, but I have been really sick over the holiday weekend and just could not muster up the energy.

I focused my energy more on enjoying myself by doing enjoyable activities rather than eating leftovers and baking new goodies. I did stress myself out a little Thanksgiving morning when I hosted my fourth annual Turkey Trot for the Friends of the Park in Wilmington, Ohio that was bigger than I could have anticipated and I am truly grateful. However, my normal response to stress is eating junk! I didn't do that this year. I still tried to eat normal snacks and meals and now my pants are fitting better. I didn't starve that's for sure.

With confidence, I can now say, "Take my advice!" Let's get through Christmas without obsessing over foods that you can't eat and enjoy everything in moderation. I am hitting the gym again and plan to as much as possible before the Christmas feasts.

Again, I urge you not to go on a "diet" for the holidays. If you want to watch what you eat, go ahead. We should all be more mindful of what you are putting in our bodies, but not just during the holiday season. Also, make sure you eat normal meals and snacks before you go out. Do not go to a holiday party ravenous. You will be more likely to eat everything in sight. If you aren't hungry, the things you would normally induldge in won't seem as exciting. Get your exercise at least 4-5 times each week during the holidays and take care of yourself not for weight loss, but for your health. You will enjoy your holidays more and feel less pressure when presented with a plate full of holiday cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment