Search This Blog

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Find The Things You Love

I have mentioned in previous posts that I am trying to simplify my life. I know this sounds like it should be easy, but it really isn't. I have many obligations beyond work like volunteering in the community, homework and family stuff, etc. I had a very hard time saying no for a couple of years and became overwhelmed.

Now I realize how important NO is. Don't ever feel bad using this word.

One tip that I learned from http://www.zenhabits.net/ is to write a list of the things you love to do and start making room in your life to spend more time doing only those things.

Here's my list: Spending time with my family, hiking, art (creating it and looking at it), writing, reading, traveling, spending time with friends., thriftstores/auctions/yardsales, all types of exercise.

You could say that most of the things on this list would include spending time with my family. I also realized that I don't get to spend near as much time as I would like doing these things because of this list: Work, homework, cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, watching tv, surfing the internet, and cleaning some more.

I can't stop going to work just yet. I also need to feed my family. However, there are a few things that I CAN work on. I can limit myself to watching only a little tv and internet time. I can limit my grocery trips to once a week. I can start clearing out clutter so that I don't have to spend so much time cleaning! I can also finish this darn paper so I can be done with graduate school.

Over the next few weeks I am going to work on cleaning up my lists and spend more time doing the things I truly want to do. I will keep you posted as I go. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment